Saturday, January 20, 2007

Planes = death

Made it!

I am writing this from Rwanda, so, unlike my title suggests, I MADE IT! My parents made travelling entertaining/embarassing.... Exhibit A:
Scene - the London airport. I have bought a donut, and am about to eat it, but my dad wants it. I reach for my delicious boston cream.
Dad: (unnecessarily loudly, due to the fact he has his earphones on) LARD! LARDO!
My mom collapses into hysterical laughter.

My parents, ladies and gentlemen.

I'd forgotten how exhausting travelling is (hence my title), especially when you're on 4 different planes for 2 days. I also forgot how sexy British men can be (helloooo London Heathrow!!), but that's another story.... Anyway, the flights were long, the waiting in between was long, and travelling is tiring, but I won't complain cuz I am in Africa!!!

So far, I am loving it! It's super hot here right now (maybe about 30?), and everything is so unlike anything Ive ever experienced. It still seems a little unreal, but I am really loving everything about it so far. Everything is so different... everything, that is, except the fact that my age apparently mystifies people here too. A boy on the street: "Muzungu, how old are you?"

So far, I've slept, gone out for dinner, explored downtown a bit, and that's about it. I'll be going to see the gorillas in a few days, meeting some people, and going out for dinner a few more times in the next week, so I'm looking forward to it! Everyone so far has been really great, and welcoming.

To everyone who wrote me an email recently: If I haven't replied, (and I probably haven't, thanks SO much for writing, and I will try to reply ASAP!! My house in the wilds of Ontario is apparently less modernized/North American than downtown Kigali, and thus I had no internet).

Please write me comments, and I will reply!! I'd love to hear from everyone!!!

I'll write more (or maybe just more interesting things) next time!!!

5 comments:

The R.C. said...

Here's a shocker... I was wondering how you are! Was talking to the bro last night but he had no useful information so I thought I would try here.

Glad you're safely on the rich, red soil and getting along with the Rwandans/Rwandees/Rwandites/Rwandians. Hope you enjoy the gorillas. What an experience!

By the way... Mama and Papa are hilarious! Always happy and joking, even while working like a dingo at the bingo. Imagine what Furby Blank would say about you being in Rwanda. Now THAT's off the reserve!!

Say hi to Fox for me. :)
Love ya lots ~ R.C.

Maui said...

donuts+long trip+dads with headphones will always equal emberrasing moments!. I love it. Good to know ur alive. Good to know you do in fact have technology in the middle of africa unlike back here in canada LOL. I will say hi to the slopes if you say hi to the gorillas. (Do you remember that I speak their language...think way back to muskoka and the like.....you can do it...)Peace g, 5 months eh??!!

Jesper Juul Jensen said...

hey lude
glad you are now in africa-land! very exciting!! say hi to the folks for me, hopefully you wont have too many more embarassing moments!! give your dad a punch from me and tell your gorillas my guerillas said hi! what i want out of each and every one of you is a hard target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse, or doghouse, in that area. checkpoints go up to 15 miles. your fugitives name is "dr" richard kimble... go get im!

Kate said...

that was weird
just so you know, someone named jesper juul is not stalking you

Jo Anne said...

Hey Naomi,

We all got your email and are here to say hello and we miss you!!!!
Looks like you are having a blast and we (especially me and Mel) wish we were there!!
Its minus 15 this weekend so how much are you missing us now?
The scoop...
Mel is applying to all sorts of grad schools :-(
Suzy is working out like a fiend...
Steph is hard core body pumping...
JoAnne....off of sugar...while writing this anyway...
Suzy's bazooka has been out lots...haha
Planning Mel's bday party on the 12th...you are invited
Sadly, that's about it...look forward to lots of pics and blogging...pics are surreal!!!
Have a blast...missing you...
Love,
The girls...
p.s. Tim Horton's at UH is laying off due to lack of donut sales...