Friday, February 23, 2007

the rwandan wedding!

(not to be confused with MY Rwandan wedding, to Cipro or any other pharamaceutical/person...)

Just thought I'd post some pics quickly from the wedding, and maybe one of these days, will figure out how to post video (I got some of the dancing & singing)....

Things here are great! Just went to the national Women's Exhibition over lunch break, and checked out the crafts, etc. they were selling to support various initiatives and programs for women in Rwanda... there was some very cool stuff, so I had to restrain myself from buying, like, everything (there are always pairs of large earrings just begging to be bought by me).

Tonight we're heading to Nyamirambo (a really fun, lively-at-night part of town) for brochettes, so should be really fun... and if it was anything like last time, it will involve me falling in large ditches that are just part of the "sidewalk" in the pitch black.

Anyway, here are the pictures... there were a ton of kids that just showed up to the wedding, and they were all fascinated with my camera, so there was lots of fun...





These are women preparing the food for the wedding.

This is one of the cows that was to be given as a gift in exchange for the bride! (like a dowry)

Some of the traditional dancing!

More dancers.


Excuse my demented appearance (though you should hardly be surprised), but the other half of this picture was TOO CUTE not to include it.... my "patt-a-cake" partner for the day.

This was my view for most of the day!!
(proof that I am, in fact, taller than some children... sometimes)

Told you my camera was very popular!!
(in the background: the bathrooms...)

Some women dancing (amazing colour!)

K, that's it for now...

Special heya's for Stephie and Em, who so very kindly commented... I'll answer everyone who comments this way from now on!

S: YESsss. Y.E.S. I thought of you the other day... I had to give some info to the students here about psychometric assessment for children! You'd love it here, I think... glad to hear your trip to Ottawa was good (would you believe I kinda miss the snow?!)

E: I'm engaged!!! That is all. (He gave me carnations from Rabba when he proposed, so really, how could I say no?)

Love, N

1 comment:

Kate said...

cipro cipro cipro
how do i love thee?
thou hast saved my arse (literally) many many times!!
truly a god among men... or drugs
that peter gabriel song is sweet! right now i have the guilty feet song in my head, another of our personal favorites!
see you in vancouver (i think if i keep saying that it will come true!)
sweet pics by the way. i think if i was there i might be tempted to kidnap a bunch of children!
kate